Saturday, November 1, 2008

Part A module 2

If I was to conduct an experiment about cell phone usage and how it underminds our our social structure. I would start by taking a group of people, male and female, as well as ages ranging from 18-30. I would survey them and then conduct the rest of the experiment with field work.
Who would be involved? I would conduct the experiment on people ages from 18 to 30. 24 of them would be males and the other 24 would be female. Then I would break it down even further. 12 males would have a cell phone, and 12 males would not have a cell phone. Then I would do the same for females. 12 would have cell phones and 12 would not.
What would I be experimenting? My purpose of this experiment would be to survey people of age groups of 18-30 years of age and then after surveying them I would have one person who had a cell phone sit with someone they didn’t know that didn’t have a cell phone and see if they could hold a 10 minute conversation. This would be after I have had those who had cell phones talk on a cell phone or text for one hour. Then I would record the social reactions and see if the conversation flows well or is choppy due to the lack of social communications.
When would I be experimenting? I would probably survey everyone at peak hours for cell phones so people get the most out of their phones. The experiment would be for one week. One hour of talking or texting to 10 minutes to normal social interaction.
Where would I be experimenting? The institution at which this experiment would take place would be a highly populated college. I have chosen a place like this because it fits the highest count of people for my experiment.

Why would I do this experiment? I would be conducting this experiment in hopes to show the deficiency in people’s ability to communicate with one another. I agree with Hans Geser and his enlightening statements about how our society is using cell phones as “antievolutionary devices” and that were “undermining” the growth of social exposure and development.

No comments: